The Ghent Historic District is New Bern’s second suburb and dates to around 1906. Ghent is listed in the national and local registers. Learn more about the homes and neighborhood – National Register of Historic Places (pdf).
When a streetcar was installed in 1912 Ghent was the last stop. The neighborhood includes a mix of 1910 to 1940s Colonial Revival, American Four-square, Craftsman-style homes, and Craftsman bungalows.
The old trolley line that once ran down the center of Spencer Avenue is now a grassy median adorned with crepe myrtles and gaslight-style street lamps. Ghent’s tree-lined streets are favored by walkers, as well as the annual trick-or-treaters, and the wide-open porches are inviting to neighbors.